Week 3 of National Home Security Month focuses on protecting your valuables. The average cost of domestic burglaries has risen by more than 40% over the last three years, due to the use of laptops, tablets and smart phones in our day-to-day lives. These valuables are very much sought after and their ability to resell quickly is a massive bonus to thieves. Around 37% of people leave these portable gadgets in places that are easily accessible to a burglar. On average a burglar will spend no more than a couple of minutes inside a home, therefore with valuable items hidden away, the burglar will leave without taking the things that are of most value to you.
With the run in to the festive season, we tend to have more valuable items in our homes than at any other time of the year. The need for storing these items out of sight has never been greater.
The Safe Shop – Top Tips…
- Don’t leave valuable items lying around.
- Store small items and important documents in a home safe, securely bolted to the floor or wall.
- Laptops and tablets should be stored in a laptop safe or locker.
- The loft is the safest place in the house as this is the place where a burglar will never go as there is no escape route.
- Keep car keys upstairs during the night.