National Pet Month runs from April 1st to May the 7th and to celebrate, we’re giving away a Wi-Fi camera! As a nation of pet lovers, we know how much your furry friends mean to you, which is why we’re helping you keep an eye on yours. Whether you own a bird, a reptile, a rodent or a cat or a dog, there’s no doubting that a pet enriches your life.
45% of the UK’s population own a pet, with the most popular being a dog. However, with research showing that five dogs are being stolen every day across the UK, we thought we’d give you some tips on how to help you keep your dog safe.
It’s a legal requirement for a dog to be microchipped, but you should make sure that the details are up to date. Your dog should be microchipped from 8 weeks of age by law.
Another legal requirement, you should make sure that your dog wears an ID tag on its collar when it is in public. Put your name, address and mobile number on the tag, not the dog’s name, as this could encourage your dog to trust a stranger if it hears its name being called.
It is very tempting, but you should never tie your dog up outside a shop. Unfortunately, many dogs get stolen this way.
Similarly, don’t leave your dog alone in a car, as it can be an easy opportunity for thieves.
Try to vary the timings and routes of walks, as some dogs are specifically targeted and grabbed while out. You should also be wary of strangers asking you questions about your dog – particularly if you’ve never seen them before.
Pedigree vs Non-Pedigree
While pedigree dogs are more at risk of theft, it doesn’t mean that non-pedigree dogs are safe, as some thieves will rely on the owners offering a reward.
So, to help keep your pets safe in your home, we’re giving away a Yale Wi-Fi enabled Camera which means that you can check up on your furry friend whenever you want – with the added bonus of keeping your home safe too. The camera can detect motion, triggering HD 720p video recording which you can view on your smartphone, so you make sure your pets aren’t up to too much mischief while you’re away. You can also talk to your pets and hear what they say back to you!
All you have to do to enter is share a photo of you and your pet with the hashtag #SafeNPMComp on Facebook or Twitter, making sure to tag @TalkWithSafe too. The competition is open for just a week so make sure you enter now! Good luck!
- The competition starts on Monday 30th of April and will run until midnight on Monday 7th
- The prize is one Yale Smart Living Wi-Fi Enabled IP Camera. If the prize is unavailable at the time of the competition ending, a prize of equal value will be provided.
- Entrants must be over the age of 18.
- To qualify, entrants must share a photo of themselves and their pet on Facebook or Twitter using the hashtag #SafeNPMcomp and tagging the relevant Safe social media profile.
- Entrants can enter once on each platform.
- UK residents only.
- This competition is not open to The Safe Shop Ltd employees, their families or any other person or company directly connected with this competition.
- Winner will be chosen within 7 days of the competition closing. Winner will be contacted on Twitter or Facebook and will be displayed on our Facebook and Twitter pages as way of notification.
- Once the winner has been notified it is the responsibility of the winner to confirm their full name and address. If no details are provided for any reason, The Safe Shop Ltd reserves the right to disqualify that entry and select an alternative winner.
- By entering this competition, you give The Safe Shop Ltd permission to re-use your photo on social media for marketing purposes.
- By entering this competition, you give permission for The Safe Shop Ltd to display your first name, surname and home town or county on our site and social media channels should you win the competition.
- Winner may be contacted by The Safe Shop Ltd for marketing purposes once the competition is closed.
- The Safe Shop Ltd accepts no liability for any loss of entries caused by a technical fault.
- Any personal data relating to participants will be used solely in accordance with the UK Data Protection Act 1998 and will not be disclosed to a third party without the participant’s prior consent.
- The Safe Shop Ltd’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The Safe Shop Ltd reserves the right to change these Terms & Conditions at any time.